Monday, June 11, 2018

Chapman Drive Trail Off-Road

 Chapman Drive is a dream.  A cyclocross-style venture, not incredibly steep (descending Chapman on a road bike is another story)  I question how climbing up rubble so chill, can make for an unequivocally terrifying descent.  That is why I choose to descend Flagstaff's tarmac (post-Chapman climb)  I also enjoy the enhanced smoothness tarmac offers (psychologically) post several minutes up gravel.  If you shift enough body weight over the rear wheel, it won't spin out much standing.  I very much enjoy the challenge of staying seated vs. standing up gravel.  I'd compare it to a mindfulness exercise of sorts.  The first day I found out about it, I had to do it twice...once wasn't enough.  The forest surrounding Chapman is full of beautiful dark greens and blacks (early June 2018)  I love it . . . 

Pinnacle - Out & Back - Appalachian Trail

Photo Courtesy of Reb Green @Wild.Bone.Alchemy