Tuesday, October 23, 2018

JB VB V1 | Retrospective



In 2010, I gathered all the vintage speakers available (along with cassette tapes, found in my parents' basement)  Got an old Fender Twin, salvaged some mics, and experimented for hours.  Usually, I will record 2 full cassettes (side a and b) meditation in full darkness.  Iridescent light is most favorable, but sometimes hard to achieve (though, as I age, realize the importance of set and setting)  Gave these tapes to a friend (for collaboration) with no avail.  Volume One is a compilation of various selections tailored to fit, complement, and complete the composition (arrangement)  The "happy accidents" are calculated (I have learned to replicate heavily uncontrollable sonics on cue via this method of production)  The initial instrumentation is hyper-minimal (vocals)  Post-production meant blasting the cassette through an old interface (obsolete driver) into a DAW on a gifted Mac.  Part of me feels like a "retrospective" means giving away my secrets, but maybe not.  I don't care much for gear.  To me, art (audiovisual + outdoor artivism) has always been about the creator.  All the secrets in the world won't give you the catalyst.  Same gear + separate artist = individual voice.

     

Pinnacle - Out & Back - Appalachian Trail

Photo Courtesy of Reb Green @Wild.Bone.Alchemy